Not catching enough zzz’s at night? Sleep deprivation could be sabotaging your weight loss efforts! A recent study published in the Journal Sleep found that those who get 4-5 hours of sleep a night consume significantly more calories and gained more weight than individuals getting at least 8 hours of sleep.
Tips for a Great Nights’ Sleep”
1. Stick to a similar routine, this will allow your body to get on a regular sleep / wake cycle.
2. Avoid caffeine in the afternoon and evening and limit yourself to 1 or 2 cups a day.
3. Set an electronic curfew and turn off all screens at least 1 hour before bed.
4. Avoid a high sugar diet, this causes spikes and drops in blood sugar and ultimately energy levels.
5. Staying active and getting at least 30 minutes of physical activity on most days.
6. Try meditating for 15 minutes before bed; clearing your mind can help you get to sleep faster and help you sleep better.
Set yourself up for success by following these tips to feel better rested and boost your weight loss efforts!
Amanda is a registered dietitian with a Masters in Clinical Nutrition from New York University. As a dietitian at Selvera, she works one on one with clients developing personalized weight management plans that address nutrition, activity and lifestyle.